It’s back for the 5th year since we re-started the decades old tradition here at Angel Fire Resort! Place your hindquarters in a steel shovel and tear down the mountain for your best time. Cash prizes and bragging rights make for intense competition at this exciting winter tradition! Everyone is invited to participate.
February 7th: Practice and registration day. Officials will be at the top of the course to assist. Practice times are 12pm – 5pm. There will be a mandatory racers meeting at 6pm in the Village Haus. We will also have a 1st timers Practice Course available on Friday from 12pm to 5pm, it will be located next to the main course.
February 8th: Late registration and race day. Racing starts at 9:30 am. Awards party in the Village Haus at 5 pm.
Registration Location & Times:
February 7th: Village Haus from 12pm – 5pm.
Mandatory racers meeting at 6 pm in Village Haus
February 8th: Village Haus from7am – 9am.
Registration Fees: (Does not include lift ticket to access lift #2)
Practice Course (first timers any age) ————————————-No Charge, must still sign release
Little Scoops (ages 6-9 years)———————————————– $15
Youth (ages 10-13 years) —————————————————- $20
Junior (ages 14-17 years) ————————————————— $25
Adult Women (ages 18 or older) —————————————– $25
Adult Men (ages 18-44 years) ——————————————— $25
Master Men (ages 45+ years) ——————————————— $25
The Official Shovel Race t-shirt can be purchased for $15 (for racers) during registration, one per competitor. The regular price is $25.
Format & the Course: Single course, Exhibition. One competitor at a time on the race course. Competitors will race during their scheduled category time. Little Scoops will complete one run, and immediately go back to the start to complete their second run. All other categories will take their first run according to their category schedule from 10:30am to 12:30pm, and their second run according to their category schedule from 1:30pm – 3:30pm.
COOLEST SHOVEL RACE COSTUME CONTEST: Must be a registered competitor to enter. Race down the course in your coolest costume for a chance to win prizes.
SHOVEL RACE PRACTICE COURSE: Never raced on a shovel? We will have officials ready to teach you the proper shovel race technique. There is no charge for using the practice course, but competitors must sign a waiver at registration, wear a helmet and eye protection, and show a wristband to the course official.
Prizes: The top 3 best times in each class will receive prizes. Also, a the fastest male and female racers will be acknowledged. Prizes will be awarded for the Coolest Costume Contest by the Shovel Race Costume Committee.
Awards Ceremony and Party: Over $1000 Cash and AFR Gift cards, certificates, prizes will be awarded in the Village Haus at 6pm. Support your fellow shovel racers and enjoy live entertainment from Rudy Boy Jaramillo.
Other important information:
- Racers can only compete in their age category.
- Production Shovels only, no modifieds.
- All racers must have a lift ticket or season/membership pass to access lift #2.
- Lift tickets to access lift #2 and will be sold at registration for $10
- Everyone will be required to sign a release. Releases will be available during registration.
- Angel Fire Resort will have a very limited number of shovels for use so it is recommended that all racers bring their own shovels. Helmets and eye protection are required, but will not be supplied by Angel Fire Resort. However, they can be rented or purchased at Slopeside Sports, the base area ski rental shop.
- You must be wearing a bib to be on-course. No exceptions.
- The practice course is free, but you must sign a release and show your wrist band and wear a helmet and eye protection.
Note: Racers must check in with the Start Official at least 15 minutes prior to their start time. All Racers (with the exception of Little Scoops) will be seeded randomly for their first run and seeded by time (slowest time first – fastest time last) for their second run. If a racer is not present for their age category time slot, they will not be allowed to race that run and will be given a DNS, Did Not Start.
1. No physical alterations are allowed to the running surface of the grain scoops (shovels) other than the application of wax or similar type substance to the underside or bottom of the scoop. You may adhere tape or other similar materials to the handle of the shovel to make it easier to grip. You may paint the seat of the grain scoop but no traction aiding substance is allowed.
2. Barging the start gate constitutes a false start. First false start in a heat is a warning, the second false start in a heat is a disqualification.
3. If a racer is not in contact with their shovel upon crossing the finish line, that racer will receive a DNF (did not finish) for that run. Should a racer lose complete contact with their shovel during a run, they will receive a DNF for that run and will be required to immediately move laterally off the course.
4. Protests can only be made by the competitor immediately following the completion of their run, before leaving finish area. Protests will only be accepted at the main scoreboard. All protests must include a $20 fee. This fee will be refunded to the competitor if the Judging and Inspection Committee deems the protest valid. If not, the money will not be refunded.
Finish Times: The time elapsed from the start to the finish will be electronically measured and recorded to.001 second when the competitor, sitting in/on the scoop of the shovel passes through the designated finish line.
Ties: The fastest two-run combined time will be the winner.