Games, Music, Rides, and Family Fun!
Celebrate the tradition that has been Shovel Racing at Angel Fire Resort for the last time!
This year we will be hosting the final Shovel Races, and Angel Fire Resort’s First Winter Carnival. With three days of games, prizes, music, and racing, this weekend is sure to our best one yet. Bring the whole family to play all day at the base of the mountain, participate in shovel races, or just take it all in! Carnival games and rides will be open from 12:00 pm to 4:00 pm Thursday to Saturday and 10:00 am to 12:00 pm on Sunday.
There is sure to be something for everyone from skiing and snowboarding, snow tubing, games and rides, shovel racing, and so much more.
Friday, January 31st | Practice & Registration Day (Online registration)
12-4 pm | Registration, Village Haus & Practice for Registered Competitors, Exhibition
5 pm | Racer’s Meeting Village Haus [Mandatory for 1st Time Shovel Racers.]
Saturday, February 1 | Late Registration & Race Day
8-9 am — Late Registration, Village Haus
9:30 am — Racing starts, Exhibition
Race Day Schedule
9:30 am LITTLE SCOOPS (6-9 years) First Run
9:45 am LITTLE SCOOPS (6-9 years) Second Run
10:00 am YOUTH (10-13 years) First Run
10:15 am JUNIOR (14-17 years) First Run
11:30 am OPEN WOMEN (18+) First Run
11:45 am OPEN MEN (18+) First Run
12:00 pm MASTERS (45+) First Run
12:15 pm YOUTH (10-13 years) Second Run
12:30 pm JUNIOR (14-17 years) Second Run
12:45 pm OPEN WOMEN (18+) Second Run
1 pm OPEN MEN (18+) Second Run
1:15 pm MASTERS (45+) Second Run
5-8 pm | After Party & Awards Ceremony with live music by Jimmy Staddler!
Format & The Course
Single lane course on Exhibition.
One competitor at a time on the race course. Competitors will race during their scheduled category time. All categories complete one run, and then return to the start to complete their second scheduled run. Refer to schedule for category times.
Shovel Race Practice Run
Never raced on a shovel? There is a $5 charge to do practice on the course Friday. Competitors must sign a waiver at registration, wear a helmet and eye protection, and show a wristband to the course official. $5 fee may be applied toward registration fee if you decide you want to compete.
Podiums & Prizing
Results will be based on single fastest time (not speed) from top to bottom of the course. Each racer gets 2 runs, their single fastest run will count toward awards.
The top 3 best times in each class will receive awards.
Awards Ceremony and Party
Prizes will be awarded in the Village Haus at 5:30 p.m. Support your fellow shovel racers and enjoy live entertainment following the awards ceremony.
Other Important Information:
- Racers can only compete in one Category.
- Production shovels only, no modifieds.
- All racers must have a lift ticket or season/membership pass to access Lift #2.
- Lift tickets to access Lift #2 will be sold at registration for $10 for racers only.
- Everyone will be required to sign a release. Releases will be available during registration.
- Angel Fire Resort will have a very limited number of shovels for use, so it is recommended that all racers bring their own shovels. Helmets and eye protection are required, but will not be supplied by Angel Fire Resort. However, helmets can be rented or purchased at Slopeside Sports, the base area ski rental shop, where goggles can also be purchased.
- You must be wearing a bib to be on-course, with the exception of the Practice Run where a wristband is required.
- The practice run is $5, but you must sign a release and show your wristband and wear a helmet and eye protection.
Note: Racers must check in with the Start Official at least 15 minutes prior to their start time. All Racers (with the exception of Little Scoops) will be seeded randomly for their first run and seeded by time (slowest time first – fastest time last) for their second run. If a racer is not present for their age category time slot, they will not be allowed to race that run and will be given a DNS [Did Not Start].
The time elapsed from the start to the finish will be electronically measured and recorded to .001 second when the competitor, sitting in/on the scoop of the shovel, passes through the designated finish line.
The fastest two-run combined time will be the winner.
- No physical alterations are allowed to the running surface of the grain scoops (shovels) other than the application of wax or similar type substance to the underside or bottom of the scoop. You may adhere tape or other similar materials to the handle of the shovel to make it easier to grip. You may paint the seat of the grain scoop but no traction aiding substance is allowed.
- Barging the start gate constitutes a false start. First false start in a heat is a warning; the second false start in a heat is a disqualification.
- If a racer is not in contact with their shovel upon crossing the finish line, that racer will receive a DNF (Did Not Finish) for that run. Should a racer lose complete contact with their shovel during a run, they will receive a DNF for that run and will be required to grab his/her shovel and immediately move laterally off the course.
- Protests can only be made by the competitor immediately following the completion of their run, before leaving finish area. Protests will only be accepted at the main scoreboard. All protests must include a $20 fee. This fee will be refunded to the competitor if the Judging and Inspection Committee deems the protest valid. If not, the money will not be refunded.
- Rules may be modified at anytime by the race organizer.
Stay In Touch
Sign-up for our emails to get updates and special offers from Angel Fire Resort.