Winter is here, and that means your family ski vacation to Angel Fire Resort is fast approaching. With lodging booked, lift tickets purchased, rentals and ski school reserved in advance, what’s there left to do? PACK! We’re here to take the stress out of your packing list, and by helping you pack the essentials, you’re able to make the most of your trip and create memories with your family that are sure to last a lifetime.
Although this winter is sure to be different than any other before, Angel Fire Resort is still the ultimate road trip destination. We’ve been socially distancing since 1966, so we’re experts when it comes to planning a COVID-friendly vacation!
Whether you’re squeezing everyone in the family van to experience snow for the first time, or the 30th time, you won’t want to leave home without these items. Print your own packing guide here!
Along with the standard pack of long sleeve shirts, sweaters, pants, toothbrush and deodorant, you’ll want to pack these winter essentials!
- Masks: Essential item #1! Don’t leave for your trip to New Mexico without a mask for everyone in the family over the age of 2. Bring a few and flaunt your new favorite accessory.
- Under Layers: Also known as base layers: Pack form-fitting long johns for everyone in the family! You’ll want materials like polyester or wool that are made for wicking moisture and sweat away from the body.
- Socks: Extra socks! We can’t stress this enough, getting wet feet on your ski vacation might ruin the entire experience! Pack warm, padded socks for snow play, and lighter socks for warming your feet next to the fireplace. And, just for fun, pack some festive fuzzy socks for the family! Pro Tip: Don’t layer the socks, too many layers on your feet can restrict circulation and make your feet colder.
- Mid Layers: Fleece is the perfect material for mid layers because it’s warm and cozy. Pro Tip: Pack mid layers with zippers, just in case it gets too warm and you want to shed quickly to keep the fun in the snow going.
- Snow Pants: Do not, we repeat, do NOT rely on your denim jeans to keep you warm and dry in the snow. Denim is cotton and will soak up moisture and become heavy and cold. The best snow pants are waterproof with a fleece liner to keep your little’s legs extra warm.
- Ski Jacket: Pack ski jackets that are waterproof, roomy enough for all the under layers, and insulated. With or without a hood is up to you!
- Gloves: Pack waterproof, insulated gloves for snow play and light fleece gloves for when walking around outside or scraping the snow off your car.
- Snow Boots: While walking and hiking around Angel Fire, snow boots are sure to keep your toes warm and dry. Traction on the soles is important to avoid slipping and sliding on ice.
- Hats: Keep your noggin warm with this essential layer! Bonus points for hats with ear flaps and chin straps for the little kids.
- Scarf or Neck Gaiter: Keep the wind and snow off your neck, and double up as a mask! Required for anyone in public, indoors or out, in New Mexico.
- Goggles or sunglasses: Useful for skiers and snowboarders, goggles not only protect your eyes from UV rays, but also keep your face just a little warmer. Sunglasses are also your eyes’ best defense against bright white snow.
- Swimming Suits: While the hot tub at the main lodge is closed due to COVID-19 restrictions, the pool is open for limited capacity. Bring a suit and splash around with the family. Some of our vacation rentals also have their own hot tub.
Check out Slopeside Sports at the base of the Mountain next to the Rental Shop or Winter Sports near The Lodge parking lot on Aspen St to purchase any items you need to complete your look and stay warm on the slopes.
For The Road Trip:
- SNACKS! We put this in all caps just to emphasize the importance of snacks in the car. We love mess-free choices like pre-sliced apple slices with peanut butter, pretzels and cheese.
- Reusable Water Bottles: What better way to stay hydrated and personalize everyone’s own cup than a reusable water bottle? After your vacation, adorn the outside with Angel Fire Resort stickers!
- Ice Scraper: Aside from your drivers license, the ice scraper is the sole most important thing you need to bring for your road trip to the Sangre de Cristo mountains. .
- Blanket & Toy: Don’t leave the house without your child’s favorite blanket and toy. Blankets make an excellent barrier between arguing kids in the back seat, and a pillow in a pinch!
- Hand Sanitizer & Tissues: You never know what the gas stations along the route are going to be like. Bring your own sanitizer and tissues for cold noses just in case.
- Phone Charger: Keep your devices fully charged and keep car arguments between the kids to a minimum. What would we do without technology?
For The Vacation Rental or Lodge Room:
- SNACKS: Bring everyone’s favorites and store them in the mini-fridge in your room in the Lodge or in the kitchen on your vacation rental. Many rooms are equipped with a microwave as well. When it’s time to hit the slopes, grab and go! Fruit, granola bars and candy all fit inside the pockets of ski jackets and are perfect for a mid-mountain snack. Pro Tip: Angel Fire Resort’s restaurants will be providing grab and go items, along with takeout, room service and even delivery! Enjoy the finest meal you’ll ever have in a hotel room when you order delivery from Elements. Prime Rib anyone?
- Bottled Drinks: Quench your thirst and bring your own Gatorade, bottled water and tea. Hot chocolate packets and a thermos will be your best friend while on the lift, so prepare yourself a warm drink in your room! Should you want a fresh Starbucks coffee, The Lift Café, located in the downstairs lobby of the Lodge has exactly what you’re craving.
- Board Games & Cards: Challenge your family to a trivia game, or make new enemies with monopoly. Get some face cards and create your own fun!
- Camera: Don’t leave home without your camera, and chargers for all your devices if your camera is also your phone. Capture all your family memories at Angel Fire Resort and tag us on social media for a chance to be featured! #WeAreAngelFire #AngelFireAdventure