Learn To Ski With Us
January is Learn to Ski and Snowboard Month nationwide, and for those looking for an ideal place to learn this month, Angel Fire Resort is offering some special deals for first-time skiers and snowboarders.
“There is no better place to experience the thrill of learning to ski or ride than on a bluebird day as we have here in New Mexico,” explains Robin May, ski school director, Angel Fire Resort. “Combine the perfect weather we have here at Angel Fire Resort, with some of the best instructors in the world plus plenty of terrain for those starting out and there is no better time or price to learn the sport. We also have some of the latest technology available that helps parents track their child’s progress on the slopes.”
Angel Fire Resort starts lessons with children as young as 3 and incorporates the Flaik system into their teaching. Flaik is a GPS-based alpine tracking system. This allows parents to not only know where their child is on the mountain at all times, it also produces real-time analysis of students turn shape, vertical feet skied and other performance stats.
“We incorporated the Flaik system several seasons ago and appreciate the peace of mind the security of this technology offers parents. The program also allows instructors to pull up the child’s ski analysis for review at any point. This means if a child skis two days in a row or has four weeks between their lessons, the instructor can review that student’s Flaik file and help them progress to the next level without any wasted time going over skills the student has already learned. We have found this technology has allowed us to speed up a student’s progress and get them out skiing on their own at a much quicker pace,” explained May.
Robin May explains a few more tips for parents to keep in mind as they determine the best choice for their children to learn to ski and ride this January.
What makes Angel Fire Children’s Ski and Snowboard School an ideal choice for first-time skiers and riders?
- Smaller classes – Instructor to student ratio is lowest in the southwest at an average 4:1, allowing more one-on-one teaching and more opportunities to work on skills.
- The most on-snow time – With a streamlined registration process that includes getting students outfitted with their rental gear, they’re on the snow faster. Additionally, the longer lessons allow for more time on the mountain.
- The one-stop place – Ski and snowboard rental equipment is included with all lessons and students are outfitted with gear at the ski school. No more hauling rental skis and boards up and down the mountain.
- Professional oversight of all classes – All lessons are overseen by on-snow supervisors and expediters that move from class to class making sure that students are progressing and in the appropriate skill group.
- The best lunch on the mountain – Angel Fire Ski and Snowboard School has a dedicated chef who provides healthy, allergen-free, home-cooked lunches. No soggy PB&J or boxed macaroni and cheese.
Does the lack of snow make this a harder winter to learn to ski and ride?
“This weather is ideal for learning how to ski and snowboard. The roads to get to the resort are clear making travel from Albuquerque, Santa Fe or even Amarillo and Lubbock quick and easy this January. Additionally, these colder temperatures allow us to make the best snow. The resort’s priority in snowmaking is always to make sure our beginner trails and ski schoolyard are in top shape and well-groomed, regardless of how much natural snow has fallen,” May stated.
Night Skiing/Riding and Learning Under the Stars:
Angel Fire Resort continues to offer New Mexico’s only nighttime skiing/terrain park. The terrain includes 50 acres of groomed trails on the front facing side of the mountain, as well as, the Night Rider terrain park. With New Mexico being designated as one of the best states to stargaze in the country, new skier and boarders can take advantage of Angel Fire’s dark skies in a Learn Under the Stars Sunset Private Lesson. Whether you’re arriving mid-day and can’t wait to hit the mountain or just have extra energy to burn, the Sunset Special provides a one or two-hour lesson and a lift ticket. (Weekends and holidays, weather permitting.)
For more information or to make a reservation for a private ski and snowboarding lesson call 844-218-4107.