For most of the year, that stretch of the American West starting in Texas and extending all the way to California is a perfectly lovely place to be. The weather is bright and sunny, but the temperatures remain pretty firmly within most people’s comfort zones.
Then comes that seemingly endless stretch of days beginning in late July when those cloudless skies start to feel a bit oppressive. The dog days have arrived. But you don’t have to sweat them out alone or for a moment longer.
This August, take some time for you, your friends, and your family to chill out. It’s time to book your stay at Angel Fire Resort, the place where treasured summer memories are made all year round.
A Typical Summer Day at Angel Fire Resort Is Anything But Average
When the August heat is at its most extreme, Angel Fire Resort is a paradise of warm, sunny days and cool, fun nights.
Our Rocky Mountain location offers an oasis for anyone seeking a break from the summer heat. July is the hottest month here in New Mexico’s Moreno Valley. But if you’re thinking the average high on those days tops out in the triple digits, the 90s, or even the 80s, think again. Think 77 degrees.
But don’t just take our word for it. Check out our summit cams and the view they provide of the beautiful weather surrounding the Resort.
What to Pack for Your August Trip to Angel Fire Resort
Although the mornings and early afternoons are mostly sunny, things can change during the afternoon and evening. So, before you zip up your suitcase or hit the road to Northern New Mexico, you might want to reach into the closet and pull out a few items you put away for the winter.
For example, anyone who loves to spend their free time hiking will find plenty of opportunities to do so on our mountain’s many trails. Just don’t let a sudden downpour dampen your spirit of adventure. Pay attention to the local forecast, bring rain gear, and take proper precautions in case thunder and lightning threaten. The good news: these storms often blow over quickly!
Bring a few extra layers, too. Once the New Mexican sunsets, temperatures can drop into the 40s. That may sound blissful if you’re currently coping with heat indexes over 100, but cool can pretty quickly become cold. Our advice? Pack a hoodie or two, sweaters, fleeces, and maybe a few extra blankets.
Cool August Activities Abound at Angel Fire Resort
Of course, to fully accessorize your August stay at Angel Fire Resort, you’ll probably want to make an itinerary. Luckily, there’s no shortage of things to do — and enjoy — here while you’re escaping the broiling temperatures back home.
- Mountain Biking. If you’re a cycling enthusiast who has yet to explore the Resort’s growing network of trails — including New Mexico’s only IMBA EPIC trail — you’ve been missing out. Whether you’re a veteran looking to challenge yourself or a newbie just getting your feet under you, our mountain playground has plenty to offer.
- Tennis and Pickleball. From the middle of May until the last day in October, Olympic Park (located just south of The Lodge at Angel Fire Resort) offers Resort guests access to six tennis courts and six pickleball courts. That means there’s no excuse not to get into the swing of things!
- Golf. You’re not seeing things. The grass really is greener at Angel Fire Resort. Our premier 18-hole course meanders more than 6,500 yards through unspoiled Rocky Mountain canyons laced with a variety of gorgeous aspen, spruce, and pine trees. It’s a golf experience unlike any other in the world, so go ahead and schedule a tee time.
That’s just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to fun ways to fill your time at Angel Fire Resort. Visit the Angel Fire Bike Park for downhill thrills. Take flight on a Zipline Adventure Tour. Test your skill on our Disc Golf course. Or just enjoy the breezes wafting off Monte Verde Lake.
A Refreshing Change of Scenery — With Amenities to Match
When you’re looking for a little downtime in between outdoor activities, Angel Fire Resort delivers — and you don’t even have to crank up the A/C!
- Resort Camping. Just because you’re sleeping outdoors doesn’t mean you need to sacrifice the comforts of home. Our campsites come equipped with a community fire pit, washing stations, dumpsters, porta-potties, and more. One thing they don’t have: bugs. Thanks to our dry, crisp climate, most bugs (like mosquitoes) are nowhere to be found.
- Al Fresco Dining Options. As a Resort guest, tantalizing dining options are available to you at every turn. Enjoy aged steaks and fresh seafood at Elements, ride the chairlift to The Summit Haus for burgers and amazing views, grab a latte at the Lift Café, or satisfy your craving for green chiles on El Jefe’s patio. If you’re more of a DIY-er, be sure to check out our Culinary & Mixology classes.
- Farmer’s Market. Every Sunday through September 5th, make sure to stop by the Angel Fire Resort Farmer’s Market. Here, some of Northern New Mexico’s most accomplished farmers and skilled craftspeople sell goods you won’t want to miss. It’s the perfect way to take a little piece of the mountain home with you.
- Sounds Under the Stars. As night falls, gather around the pavilion at Frontier Park for our Cool Summer Nights Concert Series. Acts as diverse as Katy P & the Business, Rudy Jaramillo, and Jimmy Stadler will be taking the stage every Friday through September 3rd to help dancers and wallflowers alike get their toes tapping.
Do Summer Right
There’s no wrong way to beat the heat when you take refuge at Angel Fire Resort. We’ve got something to suit every taste. All you have to do is schedule the time.
Mild days. Cool nights. Activities every member of the family will love. An unforgettable summer vacation awaits at Angel Fire Resort. So, this August, stay more and play more outdoors. Through September 30th, we’re offering a FREE $100 activities credit to anyone who books a 3-night stay at an Angel Fire Resort property. Learn more and start planning your visit today!